Today, as I was walking my parents’ dog I thought of how I tap into inspiration and creativity, and how it would be fun to share that with you guys. I’m currently hanging out at my parents’ house which is just pure bliss. I love their house! This weekend I’ve been baking cookies, visiting my grandma, hanging out with my cousin, working, watched movies and played with the dog. Ah, such a relaxing, fulfilling and joyful weekend.
I woke up this morning and I wasn’t feeling particularily inspired or creative. The weather was kind of yuck, and honestly I just wanted to curl up on the couch with Netflix and a cookie, haha! However, I had an interview today with a really cool company and I had several writing tasks to do so snuggling up on the couch was not really an option. Instead I had to tap into my inspiration and creativity. I think we all have to do this sometimes. We can’t just expect to feel creative and inspired all the time.
What I do to tap into inspiration and creativity
There are several things I do tap into my inspiration and creativity. I obviously don’t do everything at once. Sometimes I do a couple of things, other times I do one thing. I also depends where I am and what I feel like doing. Sometimes going for a long walk is exactly what I need and other times baking cookies (like this weekend) or dancing to music feels right. Over the years I’ve gotten pretty good at knowing what I need to do to tap into my inspiration and creativity.
Before getting into my list I would like to say that sometimes no matter what you do you just feel uninspired. In my personal experience this is usually because I need to rest. It’s usually because I’ve been working a little too hard, and I need to take a few days off work to just recharge.
- Nature. There is nothing that inspires me more than our beautiful planet. Whether it’s a stroll on the beach, a walk in the forest or something else nature is my favorite way to tap into my inspiration and creativity. Nature is an endless source of inspiration and creativity. While I am a nature girl at heart, I also draw inspiration from some cities. I will say that it’s usually historic, old cities like London and Paris I find inspiring. And not the touristy spots! I used to live in London, and while I never want to live there again (it’s too big and I’m not really a city girl), I still like going back to the city for a weekend visit. This is also a way for me to tap into inspiration and creativity. But in my daily life nature is what inspires me.
- Journal. You probably already know how much I love journaling. There’s not really much to say about this. For me free writing/journaling is just a wonderful way to tap into inspiration and creativity.
- Enough rest and sleep. Seriously, don’t underestimate getting enough sleep and rest. It’s so important.
- Baking. This is a new thing for me. But this weekend baking cookies really sparked my creativity. It was so much fun!
- Podcasts and books. I love listening to podcasts and reading books for new inspiration. Some of my favorite podcasts are Aligned with Paige Schmidt and Let It Out with Katie.
- Coffee shops. I love working from coffee shops. In my hometown there are two really cute cafés that I love working from. Sometimes just changing your scenery is also you need to tap into inspiration and creativity.
- Traveling. Okay, this is an expensive one, and I haven’t traveled at all in 2,5 years due to the pandemic. However, I plan to travel in 2022, and I’m beyond excited. Traveling is one of the things that I find the most inspiring.
So, there you have it. I’m sure there are other things I do as well that I just can’t think of right now. But these are my favorite ways to tap into inspiration and creativity.